Church of the Assumption in Lviv is one of the architectural monuments of renaissance XVI-XVII centuries. It is also known as Brotherhood church. The monument is surrounded by the orthodox community of the city as because the church belongs to Ukranian Autonomous Orthodox church.
The construction of Assumption church started in 1591 under the supervision of Pavel Rimlyanin. The construction was possible due to the crucial financial donation from the Russian Tsar Feodor Ivanovich in 1592. In the mid of the 16th century Church of the Assumption in Lviv ran Uspenskoe Fraternity which operated a printing press and a school. The church has a picture of the Russian double headed eagle as a remainder to donate fund to build a church.
The architectural ensemble is situated on the Podvalnaya Street in Lviv. The ensemble of Church of the Assumption in Lviv houses several monuments. The Chapel of the three saints, the 65 meter high bell tower known as the Vezha Kornyakt built on the money of K.Kornyakt, the Kornyakt tower that served as defense tower during the siege and fire patrol point guard are few of them. The interior of the church is beautifully decorated with stained-glass windows by P. Kholodny created in the 20th and 30th years of XX century, paintings of XVII-XVIII centuries and iconostasis dating back to 1773. The building of the Renaisance Kornyakt Tower began in the year 1564 but unfortunately, it collapsed soon after the second tier was completed. Even after this failure, construction was started again and was financially supported by Konstantyn Kornyakt between 1572 and 1578. The designer this time was Peter Barbona. The church was redesigned and a 200 ft tall tower was designed which, with its iconic style, resembled the Maddona del' Orto tower in Venice. So the Assumption Church (meaning Brotherhood Church) is the finest example of Renaissance architecture in the eastern part of Europe.
Church of the Assumption in Lviv features the characteristics of the Italian Renaissance. The top of the church has three domes with lanterns. The entire wall of the church is beautifully decorated with carved components of evangelical and biblical subjects. Some artistic work miraculously survived the devastating fire of 1779. Icons of the Passion, the icon of stasis dating back to the 17th century are few of the most spectacular artifacts of the church .The interior decoration of the church was changed after the restoration work that still continues from time to time to preserve its original features and architectural beauty.